Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Moving

Anyone who has ever moved from one house to another knows that you always end up finding something that you forgot about. My wife, son and I built a new house that was finished in February. We had listed our old house and it sold in 4 days, and the builder had yet to break ground yet on our new house, so we scrambled to find somewhere to stay in the mean time. Luckily, my parents were generous enough to let us stay with them for 6+ months while our house was being constructed. Our new property has everything that we had wanted (including a large 600 sq ft storage area off our finished basement). Having this storage area meant that my mom could unload all of my Rubbermaid tubs of my belongings from when I was a kid. This week I had a few days off and I constructed some industrial shelves to keep all of our stuff on so it did not sit on our concrete floor in this storage area. After everything was on the shelves, I decided to go down memory lane and check out the stuff I treasured as a kid. In one of the tubs, I found a Tommy Hilfiger tin from a cologne, soap and aftershave kit I received one Christmas from an ex girlfriend. Inside it, I found old photos, some stickers, ticket stubs to concerts and sporting events and an opened pack of 1994/95 Select hockey. Inside the pack were commons, but there was a gold card of a guy named Todd Simon, and it happened to be his rookie. I stopped to think about why this pack was in there and I remembered why I kept it in the tin. When I was 12, one of my cousins who I looked up to was 16. The day he received his license, he came and picked me up and asked where I wanted to go. Of course I said the card shop. He took me there and I bought this pack opened it and kept it as a memento. I will eventually have a follow up post on Mr. Todd Simon when I actually have the chance to deep dive into his career (because I think all players deserve a blog post), but for now enjoy this card I have of him from a day I haven't forgotten in over 20 years.



No comments:

Post a Comment