Thursday, July 29, 2021

Hobby Funk…


My beginning with cards started in 1986 when my grandfather found a huge boot box in a field near Johnstown, PA filled with 1986 Topps baseball cards all bound in rubber bands. My brother and I dug threw them, and picked out the players we knew. Some of them were soggy from the wet grass they laid in for possibly days on end, but others seemed to be in decent shape. My favorite of the bunch was Darryl Strawberry. I remember my mom sitting with me that summer (at age 4), and learning to read by sounding out the words on the backs of each card. So, cards have always been important to me because of that. However, lately, my focus has either shifted, or I’m just uninterested. Something just isn’t right. Not sure when it happened, or why, but the joy with every mail day, pack rip, RAK, trade, or eBay purchase just doesn’t bring the happiness it once did. I like reading other people’s mail days, pack rips, and card pick ups on social media, but when it’s my own, it seems I just set the cards aside for days, some times even weeks before I do anything with them. This is not like me at all. Maybe it’s cardboard guilt? The money I spend on cards could be going to something better like my kids savings accounts or even to my own savings account. Has anyone else ever felt like this after collecting for so long? I usually take a few months off and I’m back into the game, but this time just feels different. The hobby itself is different and to be honest, my life is a lot different. I would have never thought I would have 2 kids at all, but here we are. Does this mean I’m done? No, I don’t think so, but my purchasing, pack ripping, etc. has certainly slowed down. I’m thinking about either selling off a large chunk of stuff via a stack sale on Twitter, or just posting it all on eBay via 7 day auction just to lighten my load. When I stare at my 4 - 5,000 count boxes beside my computer desk daily, it is starting to bring me anxiety. What is the best way to get rid of a chunk of your collection? I’m up for any suggestions at this point. Anyways, I have rambled and hopefully you didn’t get too bored reading this. I’m still going to be sticking around social media and also, I’d love to start posting my Hockey Card Finds segments again from that lot of 50 hockey rookie cards I bought from that nice lady in Ohio. That is actually fun, but you may not see me post any “newer” cards for a bit before I sort whatever is going on with me. I’m in a “hobby funk”.



2 comments:

  1. Been there! I still haven't regained that passion I once had for collecting baseball cards. I still occasionally pick up a single here and there but that's pretty much the extent of it. I think It may have to do with sports in general. I don't follow them the way I used to. The NBA has turned into a catwalk of players competing to see who can have the strangest hairstyle, most tattoos and longest beard. MLB keeps changing it's rules and it's starting to irk me. If I ever collect again It'll probably be Football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how I feel sometimes too. I haven't had too much incoming in the mail even now lately, but at some point, I will probably dive back in.

    ReplyDelete