Sunday, March 20, 2016

Turn Back The Clock Break!

I love sports cards from the 90's. It takes me back to a great time in my life of hanging with friends and just being a kid. When I saw a Jumbo box of 1995 Action Packed Football listed for less than 10 bucks a few months ago, I jumped at the chance to own it. When the auction ended and I had won, I asked my wife if she would want to partake in the opening process. She kindly obliged. That is one thing she loves about my hobby...BREAKING PACKS. A week and a half after the auction had ended went by and the box arrived safely on my doorstep on a Saturday afternoon. The problem of that was that we had company staying with us that weekend from out of town, so it would be impossible to sneak off and break this bad boy open. I decided to take it up to my den and put it away for a weekend where she and I had nothing to do. Well, last night after we ran errands and I sold some things on a trade site, it was the perfect time to start the "rippage" of packs. I grabbed the box out of the closet and we commenced the breaking. Now for those who are not familiar with this product, below are the specs:

  • 24 Packs Per Box
  • 10 Cards Per Pack
  • Quick Silver Parallels Inserted 1:6
  • Rocket Man Inserts 1:12
  • 24kt Gold Parallels 1:72


The base card design features the usual from Action Packed, the photo of the player popping right off the card! The helmet of the current team in the top right and the players last name flowing down the right side and into the Action Packed logo with the year. Back in 1995, I bought a ton of this product, but never tried my luck at a box. Here goes with the break:

Base Card Design below

Front

Back       

The rookie design was much similar in the front, but only reversed. The players last name is on the left side, with the team logo above it with the name flowing right into the Action Packed logo and year.
Front

Back  
The back of the Rookie Cards feature sort of a spotlight design on the players photo, the players college statistics are up above with a little bit of information about the player. On this card, Action Packed wants you to know that J.J. Stokes "doesn't win races ---just games"....well someone tell that to the 49ers!

As specified, we did receive the correct amount of Quick Silver Parallels. The best one being Tony Boselli. The rest of the Quick Silvers were pretty much commons.


 Also, we pulled 2 Rocket Man inserts. When this product was released in 1995, I can only remember pulling one of these and it was of Natrone Means. I think we did better in this box by pulling Michael Irvin and Errict Rhett





Well, the break was fun, but I was a little upset that we didn't pull a 24kt Gold Parallel. So, we decided to just put together the set. I am missing only 1 card, #25. I'm not sure who the player is. When we got to the cards in the 70's I noticed I had 2 #76's, but the Steve Young looked off. See below:




They both look like #76 to me. I flipped them over to discover....

We had actually pulled a 24kt Gold Parallel and a good one at that! All in all a great break and my wife and I had a blast! If anyone has a duplicate of card #25 in this set, please let me know, I would really like to complete this set and I'm sure we could work out some sort of deal. Thanks for reading folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment