Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Have you ever done this?

I was going through my scanned cards on my computer the other day and I came across a card I forgot I had. In the summer of 2002, a friend of mine got married in North Carolina. I ventured out for the wedding and while I was out there that weekend, I stopped into a sports card shop. The shop didn't have any hockey besides 1991/92 Topps and 1992/93 Pro Set, so if I was going to buy something it had to be either baseball or basketball because football cards were also scarce. I decided to grab 2 packs of 2001 Bowman Chrome. I opened them up in the shop and noticed that I pulled a Gold Refractor. The shop owner told me, that he had a lot of interest in the card and that if I traded him the card, he would give me $50 worth of unopened product from his store. I thought about it, but I declined and decided to keep the card because it must have been worth a ton, right? 18 years later this looks like a bad move on my part. The player was Luis Montanez. He was a first round draft pick of the Chicago Cubs in 2000 (3rd overall). He even hit a home run on his first Major League at bat. Montanez, however, would not be able to sustain the success he had after his first at bat and had an uneventful career in the majors (.223 Avg with 5 HR's and 32 RBI's). He ended his career in 2011, while spending his career with 2 clubs (Cubs and Orioles). Does anyone want to give me $50 in unopened product for this now? Didn't think so. Have you ever held onto a card for too long and it eventually became worth nothing at all?

2001 Bowman Chrome Luis Montanez Gold Refractor RC /99


No comments:

Post a Comment