Monday, November 25, 2019

Oh Rickey, You're so fine!

Rickey Henderson has always been one of my favorite players. I had multiple Starting Lineups of his growing up, I had a pair of batting gloves that looked like his...he was just the coolest. When his career was winding down, I got to see him play with the San Diego Padres when they were playing the Pittsburgh Pirates. I even got him to flex his muscles at us. It was hilarious. One thing I never owned however, was his rookie card. Occasionally I would do an eBay search for one and even in VG+ condition they were always going for like $20+. I'm normally not a cheap skate if it is really something I want, but baseball cards aren't usually something that I spend more than $20 on for 1 card since I focus more on hockey cards. After listening to a 30 for 30 podcast on Rickey Henderson, I actually had the want to spend more than $20 on his rookie. I scouring eBay for 3 months and watching countless Rickey Henderson rookie auctions, I finally decided to pull the trigger on one and I can say I'm happy with the purchase. This card is iconic and I couldn't wait to receive it. Here it is!

1980 Topps Rickey Henderson Rookie Card #482




2 comments:

  1. I had a Rickey rookie in grade school and dropped it on the school bus when I was showing it to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man..that's terrible! I did something similar showing my brother a Chris Chelios rookie when we were younger..dinged the lower left corner so bad

      Delete