Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Through the mail autos

In a previous post a few years back I had stated that I was sending cards to retired baseball players through the mail to be autographed. I had received a few and others just never came back. This past summer, I tried again. After a few wrong addresses and envelopes sent back to me requesting anywhere from $5-$20 for autographs, I actually had some success. Out of 12 players I sent requests for, I received 4 back. I'll take it!

After 1 week, Bryan Oelkers was the first to send his card back. Fun fact about Mr. Oelkers, he is the first of 4 MLB players from Spain in history. He signed his 1984 Donruss Rookie for me:

1984 Donruss Bryan Oelkers TTM Auto






















Have you ever heard the name Cotton Nash? He was Bo Jackson before it was cool. Cotton was a 2 sport athlete who also played professional basketball. He signed the card in regular pen, which I was kinda bummed about, but still excited that he signed. I really can't complain. Mr. Nash also only took 2 weeks to get this back to me, which was pretty awesome. If you ever read this blog Cotton, you rule buddy!

1971 Topps Cotton Nash TTM Auto























The next autograph I received was from a baseball player that was all the rage back in 1990...Kevin Maas! I have to be honest, I was really excited to receive an autograph from Mr. Maas as like any kid who was a baseball fan in the '90's, he was a household name. It took Kevin 1 1/2 months to sign:

1990 Upper Deck Kevin Maas TTM Auto
























Finally, the last auto that I received took a little longer than the rest of them. It was from a catcher from the Twins that I really had never heard of named Bruce Look. I have to say, Mr. Look has nice penmanship. This autograph took around 2 1/2 months to travel it's way back to me. I'm still floored that all of these former ballplayers took the time out of their day to sign something for me.


1969 Topps Bruce Look TTM Auto
























Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment