Thursday, December 5, 2019

Golden Draft Bust

For some reason I have always loved goalies. Maybe it's their cool equipment or how they get to express themselves through the paint on their masks. Whatever it is, it always seemed awesome. Through the years, I have collected a few goalies (Mike Dunham, Rick DiPietro and Mike Richter). Yes, all US born goalies (nothing against my Canadian friends, I assure you). In 2010, I broke up a bulk of my goalie collection and pulled off a mega trade to a guy that collected only goalies. We both left the trade extremely satisfied and I only have a few cards left of the mentioned goalies above. 

An old friend of mine text messaged me out of the blue a few weeks back and we talked back and forth about the good times we had. Somehow, Rick DiPietro came up as a topic of conversation. My friend and I played NHL '10 like it was going out of style and DiPietro was our starting goalie. We took our team full of misfits all the way to the Stanley Cup Final (yes, we played ALL 82 games in our season). Our Phoenix Coyotes squad ended up winning the Stanley Cup in 5 games against the Boston Bruins. We would always joke that we took a team full of nobodies and beat that game on the hardest setting!

After our conversation ended, it got me thinking about DiPietro and I checked to see if I had any of his cards left and I had only 1. His SP Authentic Future Watch RC. I figured I would pass some time and check out some auctions for his rookies and I sent a low-ball offer (yeah, I admit it) on a low serial #'ed one and the offer actually was accepted. It actually shocked me. So, here is my $7 draft bust purchase based off of a text conversation I had with an old friend (impulse buy here folks..):

2000/01 Topps Gold Label Rick DiPietro Class 3 Gold RC /33

Front

Back


No comments:

Post a Comment