Sunday, September 11, 2022

The “Under-Appreciated” Pile: Scan 11



Today was a long day. Woke up, got the kids breakfast, then headed to Target for some groceries. We were invited to my wife’s cousins house today to watch the Steelers game, and my wife forgot to inform me that we were supposed to bring cupcakes. Since my youngest son needed more Motrin and their Motrin is the cheapest around, I just went to Target to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. After we baked cupcakes, we wrangled up the kids and went on our way for the 40 minute drive to her cousins place. Half way there we realized we forgot the cupcakes. How does that even happen? So, we turned around and went back home to grab them. We left somewhere around the 4th quarter because my oldest son pushed our youngest son off a slide. Luckily he wasn’t hurt, but it was time for us to make our exit. At home I read my youngest every book in the house, but here I am now blogging for all you fine people to read. I love these intro’s and giving you guys a little glimpse into my days. We were so busy today, so I made it 11 days without buying a card! 

On to the scan! This player was a wonderful junior hockey player for the Tri-City Americans in the WHL. In the 2011-12 season he put up 134 points (58 goals, 76 assists)! This would lead him to taking home some hardware by winning the Bob Clarke Trophy as the leading scorer in the WHL and the Four Broncos Memorial Trophy as the MVP of the league! Pretty cool. That is the whole reason I purchased this. Some of these guys that have such awesome junior careers just never really make it in the NHL, and I think that sucks. After writing a few posts on guys like this previously on this blog, it made me intrigued by players like this. So, when I initially bought this card, it was actually to give this guy his own blog post. I snagged this for only a few bucks on eBay a while ago and was pumped for it. Anyways, the blog post I initially wanted to post was supposed to be longer than this, but maybe some day I will do a deeper dive into his career, but for now, this will have to do. Well, on to the card we go! Scan 11 is below:

2014/15 Upper Deck Young Guns Brendan Shinnimin UD Exclusives RC /100

Verdict: Appreciated. This guy is a special player even though his NHL career didn’t show this.

5 comments:

  1. I'm impressed on a variety of levels. I don't think I've ever baked cupcakes... and the fact that you stayed calm after driving 20 minutes without them. I'm pretty sure I would have just taken the lazy way out and hit up a bakery. Then to come home after a long day and write. Super impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...there was a few minute discussion before my wife and I took the exit on if we should just keep driving. I'm the idiot that said, "I'm turning around".

      Delete
  2. "At home I read my youngest every book in the house" - Yep, I experience this one a lot, although lately my daughter is in more of a "read the same book 8 times in a row" mood...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I'm there with you now. My youngest now wants to read Diggersaurs every day

      Delete
  3. Jon, you totally could. I didn't mean to lead you guys to believe my life is hard though!

    ReplyDelete