Sunday, September 25, 2022

The “Under-Appreciated” Pile: Scan 24


Well, I thought I would be able to get a 2nd post out yesterday, but I fell asleep at 9pm. Sorry guys! Yesterday was a rough day. First, I had to coach my son’s t-ball team. Only 4 kids showed up, and to make matters worse, the 3 1/2 year old on the team had a meltdown after the first inning and checked herself out of the game. My 40 year old butt had to play the field along with a few other parents. I was so thankful for their help. The coach from the other team was a nice girl I went to high school with. We gave each other a big hug and talked for a few minutes, so that was pretty cool. The game, however, was dreadful. Thankfully it only took 1 hour and 22 mins to get through the 3 inning game. To make matters worse, the field was kinda muddy. So, I need to clean out the Subaru when I have time. After the game, I came home to find out my youngest son had peed on his dresser. How does that even happen? My wife had no answers. The last thing that happened was we did a Target pickup for a few last minute groceries and my pretzels were out of stock! Haha. Actually, not a bad day, I just had to vent. Also, thank you guys for all the comments. Once this month of blogging this pile is over, I promise to get back to each and every one of you!

Ok, enough of the life of Bryan, on to the card! The guy on this card was the Tampa Bay Devil Rays first draft pick ever. However, he never made it to the major leagues. I had this card put away at my parents house and when I was searching for that Jeff Leonard card from the previous post found here (insert shameless self promotion), I also found this card. It took me a while to figure out how I obtained this card, and then it came to me. When I was in high school AP English, I did a report on draft picks made by expansion teams. I touched on every sport and I bought a few cards of guys that didn’t pan out and used them as visual references. It was the year 2000, and they seemed like a good idea at the time. Anyways, I bought these cards from an old local LCS that has since closed its doors. The owner of that shop always loved talking with me and would always hook me up with a deal or two. I sure do miss that guy. For the life of me, I cannot remember the other cards I used as a reference. I may have to go search my parents filing cabinets where they kept my school work throughout the years (yes, my mom kept my stuff - even from high school). Since I don’t really have any more to say, here is the card from the scan…

1997 Bowman Chrome Paul Wilder Refractor RC

Verdict: I’m kinda on the fence on this one. On one hand, it gave me a good memory from my high school days, but on the other hand, what the heck am I doing with this now? We will just say “semi-appreciated”.

3 comments:

  1. Things must've changed quite a bit in the last couple of decades, because I don't remember 3 year-olds playing t-ball back in the 80's and 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually played when I was 3. My mom was our coach though, so she probably snuck me in. We actually have two 3 year old kids on our team. It's fall ball. They let anyone in. It's pretty relaxed.

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed that you were able to continue playing with only three players. As long as the kids were having fun... (at that age) that's all that really matters. One of my best friend's son played t-ball this summer and it was so fun to watch him hit the ball and run the bases. One time he ran down the first base line and he didn't stop. It was a crack up.

    ReplyDelete