Tuesday, September 27, 2022

The “Under-Appreciated” Pile: Scan 26


I couldn’t wait to put the kids to bed tonight so I could put on some preseason hockey. After about 8 mins into the 2nd period of the Penguins vs Red Wings game, I got disgusted and shut it off. The Red Wings had scored 3 straight goals, and I just wasn’t into seeing my favorite team lose tonight. Today was a tough day of work. All I did was deal with problem reports. My production numbers were awful, and right now I could use a Sam Adams beer. 

Hey Bryan, this blog isn’t about beer, it’s about cards! Tell us about Scan 26 man! Ok, well, Scan 26 was a card I had in my COMC cart for well over a month and when I made a sale over $10, I decided to throw out an offer to the seller of $10.31, and it was accepted! The guy on this card had probably one of the most gruesome leg injuries ever in the NFL. I remember watching it sometime in the 90’s at one of my dad’s friends houses. My dad’s friend knew how into sports I was, so any time I came over to his house with my dad he always wanted to show me sports from the 80’s he had on video tapes. After I saw the injury I remember getting sick to my stomach. I was probably 8 or 9 years old. Some tidbits about this guy that you might not know: 1. He was drafted in the 39th round of the 1971 MLB Draft by the Minnesota Twins. 2. Also, in the same year, he was drafted in the 4th round of the NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins. 3. Instead of playing for the Dolphins, he decided to play for the Toronto Argonauts for $50,000 per season. 4. His rights were traded by the Dolphins in 1976 to the Washington Redskins for their 1st round draft pick. This is all stuff I never knew about this guy. Pretty cool! I know just about everyone reading this knows who I’m talking about. I think I got a great deal on this thing. It’s in great shape!

1975 Topps Joe Theismann RC 

Verdict: Appreciated. I had set this in a pile of stuff waiting to be scanned for my PC, and looks like it got mixed in with the misfits!

1 comment:

  1. I rarely ever know what a good deal is anymore, but as with most things these days, I'm kind of surprised that his rookie would sell for so much. And as far as gruesome leg injuries go, Alex Smith would like to have a word...

    ReplyDelete