Sunday, September 4, 2022

The “Under-Appreciated” Pile: Scan 4

I made it another day without purchasing a single card. I had some help today since I worked 6 hours, and then went to Sam’s Club with the wife and kids. Boy was it packed there today! How is it impossible to leave that place without spending a ridiculous amount of money? We had 5 things on our list and somehow ended up with 22 things in our cart. Ugh, ridiculous...

So, scan 4 is a printing plate. Do you consider it a card? I do, I guess. This card..or plate is of a player I saw play when I lived in California 14 years ago. Hard to believe it’s been that long since I moved back home. I was only there for a year and change because my grandma passed away while I was living in CA and my dad made me feel awful about being away when it happened. Anyways, back to the story. It took me a few weeks to make friends out there when my work transferred me from PA. The first friend I made grew up in San Jose and suggested we hit up a Sharks game after work one day since we were about 1.5 hours away. One random day I was just sitting at work, and I got a text from my buddy telling me to meet him after work at his place, and he would take me to a Sharks game. His sister had won the tickets from her job, but didn’t want to go, so we went instead. I had a blast during this game. Also, that place gets LOUD! The guy on this plate actually potted his first NHL goal during this game! I looked around in my closet to see if I had the ticket stub, but I think my buddy kept the tickets or maybe I lost it? Anyways, I had an eBay alert for his name and have a few of his cards, but I never purchased a plate. Initially the seller had the price at either $30 or $35, but I threw out a lowball offer and it was accepted. I think I paid around $15.

2007/08 Upper Deck Young Guns Lukas Kaspar Magenta Printing Plate 1/1 


Does this card/plate mean something to me? Well, I haven’t seen my buddy from California that I went to this game with in a very long time. We still talk on the phone every so often and text, but haven’t hung out and that sucks, but Lukas Kaspar will be a name that makes me think of my pal. This card or plate definitely means something to me. Although I only lived in CA for a short time, I do miss my buddies from out there. A bunch of weird stuff reminds me of them, like Mr. Pickles sandwiches, Darren McFadden, Reel Big Fish, Magic Hat #9, Joey Harrington and of course Lukas Kaspar. This plate will head to my PC. Someday I would love to get all 4. 

So, to my NorCal crew....

Appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. It's been several years since I've attended a Sharks game... but I used to go to 3 to 5 games a year. I definitely remember Kaspar. He was one of the Sharks top picks the year they drafted him. Not sure what ever happened to him though. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharks games are definitely a good time! If I am ever out that way again, I'm definitely going again. Yes, Kaspar was supposed to be a big deal, but didn't end up having the great career people expected him to have. Glad I could help stir up some memories for you Fuji! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a hockey fan, but everyone always says that going to games is much better than watching them on television. I keep thinking that one of these days I'll try to go to a Nashville Predators game, but I have yet to do so during the seven years that I've been in TN.

    ReplyDelete