Tuesday, September 6, 2022

The “Under-Appreciated” Pile: Scan 6

My eyes were crossing when I was typing that title. What a long day. The kids were both home with my wife and I today due to my parents (who watch them on Tuesdays and Thursday’s) being out of town. It was constant back and forth between work and kids all day. I had no time to search for cards, so I made it another day of not purchasing a single card. A friend of mine sent me an eBay link to a card that he said I would have interest in, but I never even opened the link. Willpower wins! I did, however, receive a 2018 Topps baseball set I ordered last month for my son (who was born in 2018). It will be his once I think he is ready for it. Also, blogging every day is tough. I have no idea how a lot of people can do it. If you can, you’re a rockstar!

On to Scan 6. The reason I bought this card is because I wanted to upgrade the current copy of the one I had. Before I get into that, I will tell a little story. One year for Halloween when my brother and I were kids, we went to a house down our hill and street that probably didn’t realize they would get any trick or treaters (we grew up in a rural pocket of our town back in the woods with very few houses). The man at the house fumbled around and came back with a few packs of 1982 Donruss and threw them in our bags. Growing up, my brother and I had this players 1982 Donruss Diamond Kings card, and I remember he had really rosy colored cheeks. We thought his last name was Gravy for the longest time. The 1982 Donruss card is somewhere probably in my brothers collection. A card I still remember fondly to be honest. 

Ok, on to the meat and potatoes. Some time in 1991, my parents took my brother and I to a card show at our local Howard Johnson’s hotel banquet hall. I bought a beat up copy of this players rookie card for $4. It had a small spider wrinkle near his glove and 2 rounded corners. I probably wouldn’t have known who this guy was in 1991 if we never received those 1982 Donruss packs for Halloween. This past July, I ended up selling a stack of my older cards at our garage sale to a neighborhood kid that was 11 or 12 years old for $5. His dad browsed through a bunch of them for 20 seconds and immediately paid me. The beat up copy of this players rookie card was probably the highlight in this lot, and was one of the first cards in the stack. I am pretty sure there was a Trevor Hoffman Bowman RC in there too. Anyways, the young child’s dad flagged me down a few weeks ago while I was outside cutting the grass and said, “Did you realize that you sold my kid a ton of great stuff? Those cards are probably worth money!” I just said, “I hope he enjoys them. It was my pleasure.” He gave me a fist bump, thanked me, and I finished cutting my grass. Maybe I jumpstarted some young persons collection with the goodies I gave up? Hopefully it did.

I’m sure most of you figured out who I am talking about if you are a baseball fan. Here is a card I do appreciate and should have scanned and placed in my PC box. Shame on me. 

1971 Topps Steve Garvey RC



Verdict: Appreciated.


4 comments:

  1. Most people don't blog everyday, at least not anymore. Sounds like you're starting to figure out why :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right...what am I thinking? It's definitely hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even at my blogging peak... I was a four posts a week kind of blogger. These days I'm lucky if I have two posts per week. The exception of course is this week... but that's only because we had a three day weekend and I had an extra day off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta admit, it hasn't been easy! Thanks for always showing up to read though, I appreciate it!

      Delete